Collaborating and developing a joint project: an exchange encounter between Swiss and non-European classes inspires lower and upper secondary school pupils.

School pupils should learn increasingly in an independent, project-oriented and IT-supported way. Besides subject-related abilities and social skills, multilingualism, flexibility of thought and action and an understanding of other cultures, ways of thinking and patterns of behaviour (intercultural skills) contribute to the employability of the young people. Through its project-based and digital working methods and the reciprocal visits of the classes, the “International Classroom” makes these experiences possible.

Who can take part?

All lower and upper secondary swiss schools (baccalaureate grammar schools, schools providing general education, specialist vocational schools) are eligible to take part. Foreign schools may not be based in a country eligible for the Swiss Programme for Erasmus+. 

Who can submit an application?

Teachers and principals from Swiss schools.

Submitting a project: procedure

A Swiss school and a school from a non-European country are setting up a project that will be carried out throughout the school year with two groups of up to 20 pupils. The theme of the project is ideally chosen by the participating pupils. The "International Classroom" programme helps to finance digital encounters and a reciprocal visit (optional), so that the pupils can work on the chosen themes in greater depth with their exchange partners.Flat-rate contributions are arranged to fund projects. 

Swiss schools submit the project using an electronic form and a collaboration agreement signed by both Swiss and foreign partners.
After the submission deadline, Movetia evaluates the projects and communicates the results within 4 weeks. Once the grant has been awarded, 80% of the total grant amount is paid to the Swiss school and the project can begin. At the end of the project, once the final report has been submitted, the remaining 20% of the grant is paid, if the project could be carried out as planned. A digital exchange grant, to which the participating schools are also entitled, is added to this last instalment.

What support does Movetia offer?

Movetia advises the teachers on organising their project. For projects with India, Movetia also matches Swiss classes with Indian classes, in collaboration with the Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan in New Delhi. Please fill in the partner search form to initiate the twinning process.

Project checks are carried out on specific dates to ensure that all classes involved do their share of the collaborative work and that problems can be identified and discussed at an early stage.

If you would like to submit a project, please read the recommendations and information on the application procedure and the recommendations and information for project promoters. On this Website, teachers can find documents to help them with the preparation of the exchange: advice on intercultural project management, organising the travel and preparing the school pupils taking part.